Place:


Houghton Regis  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Houghton Regis like this:

HOUGHTON-REGIS, a village and a parish in Luton district, Beds. The village stands near Watling street, 1 mile N of Dunstable r. station; and has a post office under Dunstable. The parish contains also the hamlets of Bidwell, Puddle hill, Sewell, and Thorn. Acres, 4, 500. Real property, £8, 920. ...


Pop., 2, 169. Houses, 452. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Bedford. Houghton Hall is the seat of H. Brandreth, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £400.* Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is early English; was recently restored; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a a tower; and contains an effigies of a knight and monuments of the Brandreths. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a large national school of 1847, an endowed school with £50 a year, and a charity with £10.

Houghton Regis through time

Houghton Regis is now part of South Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Houghton Regis itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Houghton Regis in South Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6245

Date accessed: 07th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Houghton Regis ".