Place:


Gressenhall  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gressenhall like this:

GRESSENHALL, a village and a parish in Mitford district, Norfolk. The village stands gear a branch of the river Wensum, and gear the Lynn and Dereham railway, 2½ miles NW of East Dereham; and has a postoffice under Dereham, and a fair on 6 Dec. The parish comprises 2, 541 acres. Real property, £5, 279. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1, 141; in 1861, 991. Houses, 153. The property is divided among a few. Gressenhall House is a chief residence. A collegiate chapel was founded here, in the time of Henry III., by William de Stuteville; and a house of industry, now the workhouse for Mitford district, was built on the site of that chapel, in 1777, at a cost of £16, 243. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £750. * Patron, King's college, Cambridge. The church is cruciform and excellent; had formerly a spire; and contains monuments of the L. Estranges, the Veseys, and others. There are a gational school, and charities £16.

Gressenhall through time

Gressenhall is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gressenhall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gressenhall, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6239

Date accessed: 15th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gressenhall ".