Place:


Arnside  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Arnside like this:

ARNSIDE, a village in Beetham parish, Westmoreland; on the coast, near the Lancaster and Ulverstone railway, at the influx of the river Kent to Morecambe bay, 4¼ miles W of Burton-in-Kendal. It has a station on the railway, a post office under Milnthorpe, and a church built in 1866; and is a sub-port to Lancaster. Arnside Knot is an adjacent eminence, commanding an extensive prospect; and Arnside Tower, on that eminence, is the ruined ancient residence of the Stanleys.

Arnside through time

Arnside is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Arnside itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Arnside, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6216

Date accessed: 22nd September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Arnside ".