Place:


North Bovey  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Bovey like this:

BOVEY (North), a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon; on the Bovey brook, on the E Border of Dartmoor, near the Moreton-Hampstead railway, 1 ½ mile S W of Moreton-Hampstead. Post Town, Moreton-Hampstead, under Exeter. Acres, 5,654. Real property, £2,904. Pop., 513. Houses, 103. ...


The property is subdivided. The ancient lords of the manor had the power of inflicting capital punishment. Most of the surface is thickly strewn with fragments of rock. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £263.* Patron, the Earl of Devon. The church is very old, but good.

North Bovey through time

North Bovey is now part of Teignbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teignbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Bovey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Bovey, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6210

Date accessed: 25th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Bovey ".