Place:


Hayton  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hayton like this:

HAYTON, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district in Brampton district, Cumberland. The village stands at the confluence of the rivers Irthin, and Gelt, ½ mile NW of How Mill r. station, and 2½ S of Brampton; and has a post-office under Carlisle.—The township includes the village, and extends into the country. ...


Real property, £3,9847 Pop., 534. Houses, 119.—The parish contains also the township of Talkin, and that of Faugh and Fenton. Acres, 7,385. Real property, £10, 623; of which £85 are in quarries. Pop., 1,256. Houses, 261. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Carlisle. Edmund Castle and Stone House are chief residences. Much of the surface is upland, and abounds in game. Talkin tarn is a lakelet, about a mile in circuit; and Talkin fell has coal. The living is a vicarage united with the chapelry of Talkin, in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £133.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church was partly rebuilt in 1842, and has a small square tower. There is a chapel of ease at Talkin. There are also a Wesleyan chapel, news-rooms for the working classes, and charities £20.—The sub-district contains also three other parishes, part of another, and two extra-parochial tracts. Acres, 21,281. Pop., 2,583. Houses, 533.

Hayton through time

Hayton is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hayton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hayton, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6188

Date accessed: 12th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hayton ".