Place:


Toddington  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Toddington like this:

TODDINGTON, a small town, a parish, and a sub-district, in Woburn district, Beds. The town stands 2 miles from Harlington r. station; presents an ancient appearance; is very irregularly built; carries on straw-plait manufacture; and has a post-office‡ under Dunstable, a fine ancient church, three dissenting chapels, a national school, alms houses with £24 a year, other charities £71, and four annual fairs.—The parish comprises 5,390 acres. ...


Real property, £9,946. Pop., 2,433. Houses, 505. The manor, with T. Park, belongs to MajorCooper. T. manor was formerly the residence of the Duke of Cleveland, and of the Earl of Strafford; and it gave concealment for some time to the Duke of Monmouth, after the battle of Sedgemoor. Some Roman antiquities have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £830.* Patron, J. Clegg, Esq.—The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 12,812. Pop., 4,913. Houses, 1,012.

Toddington through time

Toddington is now part of South Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Toddington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Toddington in South Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6184

Date accessed: 25th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Toddington ".