Place:


Holme Hale  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holme Hale like this:

HOLME-HALE, a village and a parish in Swaffham district, Norfolk. The village stands near the river Wissey, 5 miles SE by E of Swaffham r. station; and has a post office under Thetford. The parish comprises 2, 601 acres. Real property, £4, 974. Pop., 464. Houses, 109. The property is much subdivided. ...


The manor belongs to Mr. Sparks. The Hall is occupied by Capt. Adlington. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £685. * Patron, the Rev. H. Milne. The church was begun in the time of Richard III., and finished in 1435; comprises nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and is in good condition. Six base groats of Henry VIII. were found in the churchyard in 1826. There are a chapel for Primitive Methodists, a national school, charities £90, and a poors' allotment.

Holme Hale through time

Holme Hale is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holme Hale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holme Hale, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6087

Date accessed: 22nd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holme Hale ".