Place:


Ovington  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ovington like this:

OVINGTON, a parish, with a village, in Wayland district, Norfolk; near the river Wissey and the Roman road to Caistor, 1½ mile N N E of Watton r. station. Post-town, Watton, under Thetford. Acres, 1, 497. Real property, £2, 875. Pop., 291. Houses, 73. The property is much subdivided. ...


The manor of Ovington-Bozomes belongs to the University of Cambridge; and the manor of Woodhouse belongs to R. J. H. Harvey, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £415.* Patron, the University of Cambridge. The church, which was recently restored, has a fine Norman door, and a tower. There are a Primitive Methodistchapel, and a fuel allotment £52.

Ovington through time

Ovington is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ovington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ovington, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6086

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ovington ".