Place:


Little Gaddesden  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Gaddesden like this:

GADDESDEN (Little), a parish in Berkhampstead district, Herts; on the river Gade, near the boundary with Bucks and Beds, 3¾ miles NE of Tring r. station, and 5 N of Great Berkhampstead. It has a post office under Hemel-Hempstead. Acres, 924. Real property, £1, 826. Pop., 386. Houses, 83. ...


The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Zouches; passed to the Stanleys and the Egertons; and belongs now to Earl Brownlow. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £302.* Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church is good; has an embattled tower; and contains monuments of the Egertons. There are a national school, and charities £33. John de Gaddesden, the famous physician of the early part of the 14th century, was a native.

Little Gaddesden through time

Little Gaddesden is now part of Dacorum district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dacorum has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Gaddesden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Gaddesden, in Dacorum and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6072

Date accessed: 25th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Gaddesden ".