Place:


Egleton  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Egleton like this:

EGLETON, a parish in Oakham district, Rutland; on an affluent of the river Gwash; near the Syston and Peterborough railway, 1¾ mile SE of Oakham. Post town, Oakham. Acres, 1, 450. Real property, £1, 667. Pop., 131. Houses, 34. The manor belongs to the Earl of Winchelsea. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Oakham, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is a restored portion of a very large ancient edifice, which had a guild for masses.

Egleton through time

Egleton is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Egleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Egleton in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6051

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Egleton ".