Place:


Houghton on the Hill  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Houghton on the Hill like this:

HOUGHTON-ON-THE-HILL, a parish in Swaffham district, Norfolk; on the river Wissey, 4¾ miles SE of Swaffham r. station. Post town, Swaffham. Acres, 601. Real property, £1, 001. Pop., 49. Houses, 10. The manor belongs to E. A. Applewaite, Esq. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of North Pickenham, in the diocese of Norwich. The church consists of nave and chancel, with a tower.

Houghton on the Hill through time

Houghton on the Hill is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Houghton on the Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Houghton on the Hill, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6006

Date accessed: 18th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Houghton on the Hill ".