Place:


Aveton Gifford  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aveton Gifford like this:

AVETON-GIFFORD, a village and a parish in Kingsbridge district, Devon. The village stands on the river Avon, 3½ miles NW of Kingsbridge, and 7½ S of Kingsbridge-Road r. station. It has a post office under Ivybridge; and was anciently a market-town. The parish comprises 3,052 acres of land, and 130 of water. ...


Real property, £5,909. Pop., 839. Houses, 178. The property is much divided. The manor belonged formerly to the family of Gifford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £667. Patron, the Rev. W. P. Pitman. The church is early English and cruciform, with central tower; one of the finest old churches in South Devon; but is in indifferent condition. There are chapels for Baptists, Methodists, and Bible Christians, good national schools, and charities £7.

Aveton Gifford through time

Aveton Gifford is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aveton Gifford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aveton Gifford, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5999

Date accessed: 04th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aveton Gifford ".