Place:


Alvanley  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alvanley like this:

ALVANLEY, a township-chapelry in Frodsham parish, Cheshire; near Delamere forest, 1¾ mile S of Dunham r. station, and 3 SSW of Frodsham. Post Town, Frodsham under Preston-Brook; Acres, 1,532. Real property, £2,171. Pop., 330. Houses, 55. The manor has belonged, for many generations, to the Arden family; and gives them the title of Baron. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £160.* Patrons, the Hon. Miss Arden and others. The church was built in 1860, and a national school in 1861.

Alvanley through time

Alvanley is now part of Vale Royal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale Royal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alvanley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alvanley, in Vale Royal and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5946

Date accessed: 11th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alvanley ".