Place:


Wing  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wing like this:

WING, a parish, with a village, in Uppingham district, Rutland; ¾ mile SSE of Manton r. station, and 3 NE by Noof Uppingham. Post town, Uppingbam. Acres, 1,050. Real property, £2,823. Pop., 342. Houses, 75. The manor was anciently called Wenge, was long held by the Montfords, and belongs now to the Marquis of Exeter. A very ancient maze is near the village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £340.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Wing through time

Wing is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wing itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wing in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5941

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wing ".