Place:


Walpole St Peter  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walpole St Peter like this:

WALPOLE-ST. PETER, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Wisbeach and county of Norfolk. The village stands near W. r. station, 8¾ miles W by S of Lynn; and has a post-office under WisBeach. The parish comprises 6,982 acres. Real property, £15,776. Pop. in 1851, 1,361; in 1861, 1,252. ...


Houses, 283. The manor belongs to the Rev.H. Townshend. Bricks and tiles are made. The Roman sea-wall crosses the parish, and Roman relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £1,187.* Patron, the Crown. The church is later English. A chapel of ease is at Marshland Fen; and there are two Methodist chapels, an endowed school with £100 a year, alms houses with £82, and other charities £116.—The sub-district contains three parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 15,695. Pop., 2,925. Houses, 649.

Walpole St Peter through time

Walpole St Peter is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Walpole St Peter itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walpole St Peter in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5927

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Walpole St Peter ".