Place:


Halling  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Halling like this:

HALLING, two hamlets and a parish in North Aylesford district, Kent. The hamlets are Lower H. and Upper H. L. H. lies on the river Medway, and on the Strood and Maidstone railway, between Cuxton and Snodland stations, 4¼ miles SW by S of Rochester; and has a post office under Rochester. ...


U. H. is ½ a mile to the WNW. The parish comprises 1,847 acres of land, and 70 of water. Real property, £, 776. Pop. in 185, 550; in 186, 760. Houses, 133. The property is divided among a few. The manor took its name from being the "mark" or settlement of the Saxon Hallangas; and it was very early a possession of the bishops of Rochester. A palace of the bishops stood on it, by the side of the Medway; was the death place, in 1184, of Richard, Archbishop of Canterbury, who succeeded Becket; was repaired and extended, in 1322, by Bishop Hamo; was abandoned before the Reformation; and is now represented by only scanty fragments. Lime burning, and the manufacture of Portland and Roman cement, are extensively carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £214.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is early English; consists of nave and chancel, with large square tower; and has a. brass of 1587.

Halling through time

Halling is now part of Medway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Medway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Halling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Halling, in Medway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5915

Date accessed: 28th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Halling ".