Ilford  Essex


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ilford like this:

ILFORD (GREAT), a small town, a chapelry, and a ward in Barking parish, Essex. The town stands on the river Roding, and on the Eastern Counties railway, near Epping forest, 3½ miles ENE of Stratford; is within the jurisdiction of the central criminal court and the Metropolitan police; and has a station of the name of Ilford on the railway, a post office of the same name under London E, a police station, a reading room, a church, Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and an endowed hospital with a chapel. ...

The church is a modern edifice, of white brick, in the lancet style; and has pinnacles at the corners, a large cross over the E window, and a tower with light spire. The hospital was founded, for lepers, in the time of Henry II., by an abbess of Barking; was reconstituted by Queen Elizabeth, for six poor men, and for a town chaplain; is an edifice of the 15th century, much modified by alterations and repairs; forms three sides of a quadrangle, with the chapel on the S side; is under the Marquis of Salisbury, as master and patron; and has an income of £65. The river Roding was made navigable to the town about the year 1738.—The chapelry was constituted in 1836; included then BarkingSide, Aldborough-Hatch, Chadwell-Street, and a portion of Hainault Forest; and was reconstituted, to the exclusion of Barking-Side, in 1841. Rated property, inc. of Barking-Side, £24, 200. Pop., in 1861, exc. of Barking-Side, 3, 688. Houses, 750. The property is much subdivided. Fossil remains, comprising very large bones of oxen, horns and bones of stags, a spiral horn, 13 feet long, and the head, teeth, and bones of an elephant different from the elephants of Asia or Africa, were discovered, in 1812, in a field near the river Roding; and other fossil remains, including teeth and tusks of the hippopotamus, were found in a neighbouring field. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £430. Patron, All Souls College, Oxford. The vicarage of Aldborough Hatch is a separate benefice.-The ward is more extensive than the chapelry. Pop. in 1851, 3, 745; in 1861, 4, 523. Houses, 903.

Ilford through time

Ilford is now part of Redbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Redbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ilford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ilford, in Redbridge and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 19th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ilford".