Place:


Wendling  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wendling like this:

WENDLING, a parish, with a village and a r. station, in Mitford district, Norfolk; on the East Anglian railway, 4 miles W of East Dereham. Post town, Dereham. Acres, 1,436. Real property, £2,697. Pop., 371. Houses, 78. The manor belongs to J. Margarson, Esq. A Premonstratensian abbey was founded here, before 1267, by W. de Wendling; and was given, at the dissolution, to R. Hogan. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Longham. The church is good.

Wendling through time

Wendling is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wendling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wendling, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5816

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wendling ".