Place:


Latimer  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Latimer like this:

LATIMER, a hamlet-chapelry in Chesham parish, Bucks; on the river Chess, adjacent to Herts, 3½ miles SE of Chesham, and 5½ NW of Rickmansworth r. station. It has a postal letter-box under Amersham. Real property, £2,283. Pop., returned with the parish. The manor belonged to the Latimers; passed to the Nevilles, the Grevilles, and the Sandys; and belongs now to Lord Chesham. ...


Latimer House is Lord Chesham's seat. The living is a donative rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £125. * Patron, Lord Chesham. The church was rebuilt after designs by Blore; is in the Tudor style; and has a handsome spire. There are a national school for boys, an industrial school for girls, and an infant school.

Latimer through time

Latimer is now part of Chiltern district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chiltern has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Latimer itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Latimer, in Chiltern and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5809

Date accessed: 05th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Latimer ".