Place:


Chilcomb  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chilcomb like this:

CHILCOMB, a parish in Winchester district, Hants; near the river Itchen and the Southwestern railway, 2 miles SE of Winchester. Post town, Winchester. Acres, 2, 257. Real property, £2, 442. Pop., 278. Houses, 61. The property is divided among a few. There are extensive limeworks. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £167.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is Norman, with a very singular window of later date; and includes, in its pavement, some encaustic tiles.

Chilcomb through time

Chilcomb is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chilcomb itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chilcomb, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5785

Date accessed: 15th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chilcomb ".