Place:


Cheriton  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cheriton like this:

CHERITON, a parish in Elham district, Kent; on the coast, at Thorncliffe r. station, 2¾ miles W by N of Folkestone. It includes part of Sandgate village, and has a post office under Hythe. Acres, 1,861, of which 75 are water. Real property in 1860, £10, 498. Pop. in 1851, 1, 658; in 1861, 7, 434, -of whom 4, 204 were military in Shorncliffe camp. ...


Houses, 342. The increase of pop. arose from the establishing of Shorncliffe camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury; and till 1867 was united with Newington. Value, £550.* Patron, the Rev. T. Brockman. The church is ancient. There is a national school.

Cheriton through time

Cheriton is now part of Shepway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shepway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cheriton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cheriton, in Shepway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/577

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cheriton ".