Croydon  Surrey


In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Croydon like this:

Croydon, parl. and mun. bor., market town, and par., Surrey -- par. and bor., 9001 ac., pop. 78,953; 3 Banks, 12 newspapers. Market-days, Thursday and Saturday. C. is 10 miles S. of London Bridge, but forms practically a S. suburb of the metropolis, and contains numerous handsome villas of London merchants. ...

It has 6 stations -- Addiscombe Road, Central, East, New, South, West -- connecting the town with the main lines and branches of the London, Brighton, and South Coast and South-Eastern Railways. The weekly corn and cattle markets constitute the chief business of the town. There are no mfrs. C. is a place of great antiquity. It has many traces of the Romans. The archiepiscopal palace, of which the chapel and hall still remain, is supposed to have been founded by Lanfranc (1005-1089); it was the occasional residence of his successors until 1757. C. is the capital of E. Surrey, and assizes are held alternately there and at Guildford. It was made a mun. bor. in 1883, and a parl. bor. in 1885; it returns 1 member.

Croydon through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Croydon has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Croydon go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Croydon in Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 25th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Croydon".