Place:


Great Dunham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Dunham like this:

DUNHAM (Great), a parish in Mitford district, Norfolk; 2 miles N of Dunham r. station, and 5¾ NE of Swaffham. It has a post office under Swaffham. Acres, 1, 968. Real property, £3, 736. Pop., 493. Houses, 112. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, not reported. Patron, R. B. Humfrey, Esq. The church is very ancient, supposed to be partly Saxon; and was recently repaired There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £53.

Great Dunham through time

Great Dunham is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Dunham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Dunham, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5693

Date accessed: 26th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Dunham ".