Place:


Wereham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wereham like this:

WEREHAM, a parish, with a village, in Downham district, Norfolk; 5½ miles ESE of Downham r. station. It has a post-office under Brandon. Acres, 2,231. Real property, £4,517. Pop., 597. Houses, 137. The manor, with White House, belongs to H. B. Mason, Esq. Wereham Hall is the seat of Mrs. ...


Houchen. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Mountstrol, in France, was founded here in the time of King John; was annexed, in 1321, to West Dereham monastery; and went, at the dissolution, as part of that monastery's possessions, to T. Guibon and W. Mynn. The living is a p. curacy, united with Wretton, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £120. Patron, the Rev. J. Pratt. The church was recently restored and enlarged. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £40.

Wereham through time

Wereham is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wereham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wereham in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5582

Date accessed: 06th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wereham ".