Place:


Looe  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Looe like this:

LOOE (THE), a river of Cornwall; rising on high grounds, near St. Clear; and running about 10 miles southward, past Liskeard and St. Keyne, to the head of Looe bay between East Looe and West Looe. It is joined, near its mouth, by the Trelawney river, which has a run of about 7½ miles south-south-eastward, and is sometimes called West Looe river. Looe bay is a mere incurvature, continuous with Whitesand bay on the E.

Looe through time

Looe is now part of Caradon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Caradon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Looe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Looe, in Caradon and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/55

Date accessed: 19th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Looe ".