Place:


Liss  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Liss like this:

LISS, or LYSS, a village and a parish in Petersfield district, Hants. The village stands near the Guildford and Portsmouth railway, on the E border of the county, 4 miles NNE of Petersfield; is a pretty place; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post office under Petersfield. ...


The parish comprises the tythings of Liss-Abbas and Liss-Turney. Acres, 3,679. Real property, £4,181. Pop. in 1851,748; in 1861,806. Houses, 167. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir Charles Taylor. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £383.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is ancient, and the chancel was restored in 1864. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £8.

Liss through time

Liss is now part of East Hampshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hampshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Liss itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Liss in East Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5489

Date accessed: 20th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Liss ".