Place:


Compton  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Compton like this:

COMPTON, a parish in Winchester district, Hants; on the river Itchen and the Southwestern railway, 2½ miles SSW of Winchester. It has a post office under Winchester. Acres, 2, 099. Real property, £5, 369. Pop., 279. Houses, 53. The property is divided among a few. A camp of observation, with a battery, was raised on Compton Down, by Cromwell, preliminary to his siege of Winchester. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, 329.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is partly Norman, and has a rich Norman doorway. The churchyard contains the ashes of Dr. Huntingford, bishop of Hereford and warden of Winchester college; who commenced his career as curate of Compton. Charities, £9.

Compton through time

Compton is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Compton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Compton, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5486

Date accessed: 10th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Compton ".