Place:


Gunton  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gunton like this:

GUNTON, a parish in Erpingham district, Norfolk; adjacent to the projected line of railway from Norwich to Cromer, 4½ miles NW of North Walsham r. station, and 5½ N by E of Aylsham. Post town, North Walsham. under Norwich. Acres, 945. Real property, £1, 261. Pop., 78. Houses, 16. ...


Gunton Park, with a white brick mansion of 1785, on an eminence, amid extensive grounds, is the seat of Lord Suffield; and has an elegant entrance tower, 120 feet high. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Hanworth, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £206.* Patron, Lord Suffield. The church was rebuilt in 1 742.

Gunton through time

Gunton is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gunton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gunton in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5472

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gunton ".