Place:


Thornage  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thornage like this:

THORNAGE, a parish in Erpingham district, Norfolk; 8 miles E of Walsingham r. station. Post town, Holt, under Thetford. Acres, 1,266. Real property, £2,582. Pop., 358. Houses, 83. The manor belongs to Lord Hastings. There are a brass and iron foundry, and an agricultural-instrument manufactory. The living is a rectory, united with Brinton, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £467.* Patron, Lord Hastings. The church is chiefly early English; and there is a Baptist chapel.

Thornage through time

Thornage is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thornage itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thornage in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5458

Date accessed: 02nd June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thornage ".