Place:


St Merryn  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Merryn like this:

MERRYN (ST.), a parish in St. Columb district, Cornwall; on the coast, 2 miles WSW of Padstow, and 15 WNW of Bodmin-Road r. station. It has a post office under Padstow, Cornwall, and a fair on the Monday before 22 June. Acres, 3,928; of which 130 are water. Real property, £5,012. Pop., 570. ...


Houses, 109. The property is subdivided. Harlyn was, till recently, the seat of the Peter family, and commands a splendid seaview. The surface is exceedingly diversified; and the coast is lined by high rugged cliffs. The rocks are crystalline and schistose, and include veins of lead and antimony. Roofing slate is quarried; and a dark-coloured trap, almost equal to marble, is worked. A small quay, constructed in 1794, is under Catacluse cliff. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £257. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is ancient and pretty good; was partly rebuilt of Catacluse stone; and contains a curiously carved trap-rock font. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians. A church formerly stood near Harlyn, and has left some remains.

St Merryn through time

St Merryn is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Merryn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Merryn in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5450

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Merryn ".