Place:


Wimpole  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wimpole like this:

WIMPOLE, a parish in Caxton district, Cambridge; 2¾ miles SSE of Old North Road r. station, and 7 N of Royston. Post town, Arrington, under Royston. Acres, 2,428. Real property, £3,051. Pop., 406. Houses, 74. The property, with W. Hall, belongs to the Earl of Hardwicke. The Hall is partly of the 17th century, partly of the 18th; contains a rich collection of pictures by the old masters; and is approached by a spacious avenue, 2¾ miles long. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £398.* Patron, the Earl of Hardwicke. The church was rebuilt in 1749. Charities, £21.

Wimpole through time

Wimpole is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wimpole itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wimpole in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5444

Date accessed: 06th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wimpole ".