Place:


Bosheston  Pembrokeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bosheston like this:

BOSHESTON, a parish in the district and county of Pembroke; on the coast, 5 miles S by W of Pembroke, and 7½ S of New Milford r. station. It has a post office under Pembroke. Acres, 1,666. Real property, £1,091. Pop., 254. Houses, 54. Limestone cliffs on the coast are pierced with caverns, and show very striking forms. ...


The largest cavern, called Bosheston-mere, runs inland more than ¼ of a mile; terminates in a narrow vertical aperture; is lashed by the waves, in a storm, with tumultuous noise; and sometimes ejects, from its terminal aperture, a column of foam 40 feet high, resembling the Iceland geysers. The hermitage and well of St. Govan, The Sir Gawaine of fable, the nephew of King Arthur, are in the vicinity of the mere. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, not reported. Patron, the Earl of Cawdor.

Bosheston through time

Bosheston is now part of Pembrokeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pembrokeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bosheston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bosheston in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5427

Date accessed: 18th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bosheston".