Witherslack  Westmorland


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Witherslack like this:

WITHERSLACK, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Beetham parish, Westmoreland; on the river Winster, 6 miles N by E of Grange-over-Sands r. station, and 7½ SW of Kendal. It has a post-office under Kendal. Acres, 4,689; of which 308 are water. Real property, £4,341. Pop., 489. Houses, 86. ...

The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £90.* Patrons, the Trustees of Barwick's charity. The church was built in 1664. Barwick's charity was founded here in 1664, by Dean Barwick and his brother Peter, both natives; and yields £445 a year, for the curate, a school, and other purposes; and there are other charities £17.

Witherslack through time

Witherslack is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Witherslack itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Witherslack, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 25th June 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Witherslack ".