Place:


Little Wymondley  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Wymondley like this:

WYMONDLEY (Little), a parish in Hitchin district, Herts; 2 miles SSE of Hitchin r. station. Post town, Great Wymondley, under Stevenage. Acres, 790. Real property, £1,965. Pop., 318. Houses, 67. W. House is the residence of the Rev. J. Johnson. A black priory was founded here in the time of Henry III. ...


Coward college, for Protestant dissenters, was founded here in 1729, and was merged into New college, St. John's Wood, in 1838. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £45.* Patron, U. Heathcote, Esq. The church is ancient but good; and there is a Baptist chapel.

Little Wymondley through time

Little Wymondley is now part of North Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Wymondley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Wymondley in North Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5362

Date accessed: 21st May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Wymondley ".