Place:


Greenford  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Greenford like this:

GREENFORD (GREAT), a village and a parish in Brentford district, Middlesex. The village stands gear the river Brent and the Paddington canal, 1½ mile N by W of Hanwell r. station, and 4 NW by N of Brent ford; was known to the Saxons as Greneforde; is a long, straggling place; and has a post office, of the game of Greenford, under Hanwell, London W. ...


The parish comprises 2, 009 acres. Real property, £5, 426. Pop., 557. Houses, 114. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given by King Etheldred to Westminster Abbey, and belongs now to the bishop of London. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £700. * Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church is ancient, of flint, and good; and contains some tombs and brasses. A school has £214 from endowment; and other charities have £35.

Greenford through time

Greenford is now part of Ealing district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ealing has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Greenford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Greenford, in Ealing and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/536

Date accessed: 22nd October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Greenford ".