Place:


Charlwood  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Charlwood like this:

CHARLWOOD, a parish in Reigate district, Surrey; on an affluent of the river Mole, 3½ miles SW by W of Horley r. station, and 6½ S by W of Reigate. It has a post office under Crawley. Acres, 7,000. Real property, £6,668. Pop., 1,542. Houses, 268. The property is subdivided. Charlwood Park and Charlwood Place are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £550.* Patron, H.Wise, Esq. The church is partly Norman, and was repaired in 1859. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school, and charities £28.

Charlwood through time

Charlwood is now part of Mole Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mole Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Charlwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Charlwood, in Mole Valley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5279

Date accessed: 28th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Charlwood ".