Llanymddyfri  Carmarthenshire


In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Llanymddyfri like this:

Llandovery, mun. bor. and market town with ry. sta., Llandiugat par., Carmarthenshire, at confluence of the rivers Bran and Gwydderig, 11¼ miles NE. of Llandilo, 27 NE. of Carmarthen, and 204 NW. of London, pop. 2035; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. Llandovery derives its name from a corruption of Llan-ym-Ddyfri, "the church among the waters;" is an ancient place, and at the conquest of Wales had a castle, a few remains of which still exist. ...

The town received its charter from Richard III. in 1484. The churches of Llandingat and Llanfair-ar-y-Bryn are here. A Welsh collegiate institution was founded at Llandovery in 1847. The trade of the town is almost exclusively in mining. In addition to the weekly market there is a great market on the second Saturday of each month; several fairs for cattle and horses are held annually.

Llanymddyfri through time

Llanymddyfri is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanymddyfri itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanymddyfri in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 15th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llanymddyfri".