Place:


Lingwood  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lingwood like this:

LINGWOOD, a parish,.with a village, in Blofield district, Norfolk; 3 miles N of Buckenham r. station, and 8 E of Norwich. Post town, Blofield, under Norwich. Acres, 661. Real property, £1,999. Pop., 509. Houses, 79. The property is subdivided. Most of the land belongs to H. N. Burroughes, Esq., and the Rev. ...


J. Burroughes; and the manor belongs to the former, and Lingwood Lodge to the latter. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £55. Patron, H. N. Burroughes, Esq. The church is later English, in good condition; and has a tower. There are a national school and a land-allotment for the poor, yielding £20 a year. Blofield workhouse also is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 146 inmates.

Lingwood through time

Lingwood is now part of Broadland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broadland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lingwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lingwood, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5153

Date accessed: 28th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lingwood ".