Place:


Narborough  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Narborough like this:

NARBOROUGH, or Narburgh, a village and a parish in Swaffham district, Norfolk. The village stands on the river Nar, and on the East Anglian railway, 5½ miles N W by W of Swaffham; carries on a considerable trade in coals, corn, and other goods; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office‡ under Swaffham. ...


The parish comprises 3, 545 acres. Real property, £3, 160. Pop., 387. Houses, 78. The property is divided among a few. Narborough Hall, an ancient mansion, is the seat of R. Marriott, Esq. A high ancient entrenchment, with fosse and rampart, is here, and may be traced to a distance of 8 miles. There isalso a Saxon camp. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Narford, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £519.* Patron, the Rev. W. E. Allfree. The church is ancient but good, and has been lately restored; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains several fine brasses and monuments. There are a parochial school, and charities £45.

Narborough through time

Narborough is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Narborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Narborough, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5133

Date accessed: 22nd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Narborough ".