Place:


Westacre  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Westacre like this:

WESTACRE, a parish, with a village, in Freebridge-Lynn district, Norfolk; 2¼ miles ENE of Narborough r. station, and 5 NW of Swaffham. It has a postal letter-box under Brandon. Acres, 3,400. Real property, £3,454. Pop., 415. Houses, 83. The manor, with High House, belongs to A. Hamond, Esq. ...


A black friary was founded here, in the time of William Rufus, by Ralph de Toney; went, at the dissolution, to Sir T. Gresham; and has left some remains. The living is a donative in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £31. Patron, A. Hamond, Esq. The church is later English. There is a national school.

Westacre through time

Westacre is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Westacre itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Westacre in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5128

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Westacre ".