Place:


St Mewan  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Mewan like this:

MEWAN (ST.), a village and a parish in St. Austell district, Cornwall. The village stands near the Cornwall railway, 1½ mile SW by W of St. Austell r. station; and is a considerable but primitive place. The parish contains also the hamlets of Burganlo and Trewoon. Post town, St. Austell. ...


Acres, 2,632. Real property, £2,954; of which £540 are in quarries. Pop., 1,227. Houses, 238. St. Mewan's Beacon is a hill of greenstone rock, rising 385 feet above sea-level. Copper and tin are found; and there are traces of silver and gold. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £284.* Patron, R. Taylor, Esq. The church has lost the uppermost stage of its tower.

St Mewan through time

St Mewan is now part of Restormel district. Click here for graphs and data of how Restormel has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Mewan itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Mewan, in Restormel and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5111

Date accessed: 15th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Mewan ".