Place:


Coton  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coton like this:

COTON, a parish in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire; near the Bedford and Cambridge railway, 2¾ miles W of Cambridge. Post town, Cambridge. Acres, 1, 130. Real property, £1, 785. Pop., 311. Houses, 75. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £213.* Patron, Catherine Hall, Cambridge. The church is Norman and early English; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and two porches with tower and spire; has the monument of Downes, the translator of the Apocrypha; and is good. Charities, £37.

Coton through time

Coton is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Coton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coton in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5075

Date accessed: 24th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coton ".