Place:


Greetham  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Greetham like this:

GREETHAM, a village and a parish in Oakham district, Rutland. The village stands on an affluent of the river Gwash, 3¼ miles E of the Melton Mowbray canal, 4 NNW of Empingham, and 6 NE of Oakham r. station; possessed some importance in the Saxon times; is long and straggling; and has a post office under Oakham. ...


The parish comprises 2, 800 acres. Real property, £3, 756. Pop., 706. Houses, 145. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to G. Finch, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £163. * Patron, G. Finch, Esq. The church is ancient; has a tower and lofty spire; and was restored in 1860. There are a national school, with £36 from endowment, an infant school, and several charities.

Greetham through time

Greetham is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Greetham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Greetham in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4923

Date accessed: 28th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Greetham ".