Place:


West Molesey  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Molesey like this:

MOLESEY, or MOULSEY (WEST), a village and a parish in Kingston district, Surrey. The village stands near the river Thames, 1¼ mile W by N of HamptonCourt r. station, and 3¾ W by S of Kingston; is a small but pleasant place; and has a post office under Kingston, London, SW. The parish comprises 650 acres. ...


Real property, £2,824. Pop., 459. Houses, 98. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Hotham and Lady Berkeley. Molesey Grove was, for many years, the residence of the Right Hon. J. Wilson Croker. There are several other good residences, and some market gardens. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £100.* Patron, Mrs. Croker. The church was rebuilt in 1843, and enlarged in 1860; retains the tower of a previous edifice; comprises N aisle, and chancel; and contains a later English font. Charities about £30.

West Molesey through time

West Molesey is now part of Elmbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Elmbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Molesey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Molesey, in Elmbridge and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4907

Date accessed: 27th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Molesey ".