Place:


Ewyas Harold  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ewyas Harold like this:

EWYAS-HAROLD, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; on an affluent of the river Monnow, 1¼ mile NW of Pontrilas r. station, and 11½ SW of Hereford. Post town, Pontrilas, under Hereford. Acres, 1,838. Real property, £1, 895. Pop., 407. Houses, 88. The property is much subdivided. ...


A castle was built here by King Harold, but has disappeared. A small priory of black monks, a cell to Gloucester abbey, also was founded here about 1100. Ewyas was formerly a lordship, extending to the vale of Honddu beyond the Black mountains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, 110.* Patron, Bishop of G. and B The church dates from the 14th century, and is tolerable.

Ewyas Harold through time

Ewyas Harold is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ewyas Harold itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ewyas Harold in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4904

Date accessed: 12th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ewyas Harold".