Place:


Silsden  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Silsden like this:

SILSDEN, or Sighelden, a township-chapelry, with a village and three hamlets, in Kildwick parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 1½ mile N of Steeton r. station, and 4 NNW of Keighley. It has a post-office‡ under Leeds. Acres, 6,908. Real property, £5,032. Pop., 2,582. Houses, 535. The manor belongs to Sir R. Tufton, Bart. There is a large worsted-mill; and nail-making is extensively carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £121. Patron, Sir R. Tufton, Bart. The church is plain. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.

Silsden through time

Silsden is now part of Bradford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bradford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Silsden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Silsden, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/489

Date accessed: 28th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Silsden ".