Place:


South Milton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Milton like this:

MILTON (SOUTH), a village and a parish in Kingsbridge district, Devon. The village stands near the coast, 3 miles WSW of Kingsbridge r. station; and was anciently known as Middleton. The parish contains also the hamlets of Sutton and Upton. Post town, West Alvington, under Kingsbridge. Acres, 1,556. ...


Real property, with Thurlestone and West Alvington, £13,111. Rated property of S. M. alone, £2,067. Pop., 363. Houses, 76. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Mr. Prideaux. Horsewell House belonged formerly to the Roopes, and belongs now to W. Robert, Esq. Holwell belongs to Mr. Gilbert. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of West Alvington, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is later English; and consists of nave, N aisle, S transept, and chancel. Charities, £16.

South Milton through time

South Milton is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Milton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Milton, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4869

Date accessed: 16th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Milton ".