Place:


Bessingham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bessingham like this:

BESSINGHAM, or Bassingham, a parish in Erpingham district, Norfolk; 4½ miles SW of Cromer, and 15 east of Walsingham r. station. Post Town, Cromer, under Norwich. Acres, 514. Real property, £856. Pop., 153. Houses, 34. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £131. Patron, F. E. Arden, Esq. The church has a round tower, but is bad. The moat-yard, near it, is a fosse-girt tumulus of about ½ an acre.

Bessingham through time

Bessingham is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bessingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bessingham in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4745

Date accessed: 14th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bessingham ".