Place:


Horsham St Faith  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horsham St Faith like this:

HORSHAM-ST. FAITHS, a village and a parish in St. Faith district, Norfolk. The village stands on a branch of the river Bure, 5 miles NNW of Norwich r. station; was once a market town; and has now a postoffice, of the name of St. Faiths, under Norwich, and a prolonged annual cattle fair commencing on 17 Oct. ...


The parish includes also Newton-ST. Faiths, and comprises 1, 750 acres. Real property, £3, 114. Pop., 918. Houses, 180. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Viscount Ranelagh. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Couches abbey in Normandy, was founded here, in 1105, by Robert Fitzwalter; and was given, at the Reformation, to E. Ebrington and R. Southwell. An hospital of the Knights Templars also was here before 1163; and was given to the Benedictine priory. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £101. Patron, Viscount Ranelagh. The church is ancient, and has an embattled tower. There are two Wessleyan chapels, a national school, and a workhouse, - and the latter serves for the district of St. Faith, and has accommodation for 300 inmates.

Horsham St Faith through time

Horsham St Faith is now part of Broadland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broadland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Horsham St Faith itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horsham St Faith, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4730

Date accessed: 21st February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Horsham St Faith ".