Hilborough  Norfolk


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hilborough like this:

HILBOROUGH, a village and a parish in Swaffham district, Norfolk. The village stands on the river Wissey, 5½ miles S of Swaffham r. station; and has a post office under Brandon. The parish comprises 3, 101 acres. Real property, £2, 263. Pop., 365. Houses, 73. The property is divided among a few. ...

Hilborough House belongs to J. R. Mills, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £390.* Patron, the Rev. Charles Hardy. The church is ancient but very good; has an embattled tower, with crocketted pinnacles; and contains a double piscina. Remains exist of St. Margaret's or the pilgrims' chapel, which was served for a time by Dean Colet, the founder of St. Paul's school in London. There are a parochial school, and some charities.

Hilborough through time

Hilborough is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hilborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hilborough, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 22nd October 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hilborough ".